A Change to the Safari Extension

2019 Changes and Updates to Safari

For those of you who use LastPass through our Safari extension, we need your attention. Apple has implemented a change in how they handle Safari extensions. Previously, a Safari user could simply download an extension and use it in their browser. Now Apple is requiring users to download and install a Mac App to get the extension.

What this means for you

If you use Safari, the good news is you can continue to use the browser extension as you always have. The new version will simply open as an application on your desktop and run in the background. But the browser extension will still appear in the top of your browser bar.

Next steps

To keep your browser extension working as usual – please download the required app from our site. The steps are highlighted below – and you will also be prompted to complete each step.

1. Download app here
  2. Install and run the app
  3. Login to the app
  4. Enable it in Safari – in the Preferences/ Extensions.

Installing this new version will uninstall the old one.

Once you complete the above steps, you are good to go! Just keep using LastPass and Safari together.

If you have questions, please submit a ticket here and our support team can help.

• Leon says:

Please update the taskbar icon to a high resolution one. Looks awful. Or even better give an option to hide it. Thanks.

• Leah Bachmann says:

Hi Leon,
      We have a ticket in our system to address this issue. Thank you for your feedback.

Leah

• Urai Jenson says:

I installed the new Mac OS Lastpass app as required for use as a Safari extension. When I launched the Lastpass app, not only did the Lastpass extension not work, but it kept spawning the debugger Lastpass JSContext. This is an absolute disaster. Had to uninstall the app and extension just to get my browser working again.

• Leah Bachmann says:

Hi Urai,
      Sorry for the trouble. You can disable that with the following setting: Safari Menu Bar > Develop > (machine name) > Automatically Show Web Inspector for JS Contexts
      If you need that enabled for development purposes and install the LastPass extension again, you can try disabling the extension in Preferences > Extensions while “Automatically Show Web Inspector for JS Contexts” is enabled.

Thanks,
      Leah

• Jerod says:

Maybe update the app to run even with the window closed, like the vast majority of other OSX apps. I shouldn’t have to have the window minimized or floating randomly on my desktop.

• Leah Bachmann says:

Hi Jerod,
      Thanks for the feedback. We just created a ticket in our system to fix this problem.

Leah

• Peter says:

Hi,
    If I close the LastPass app window (command-w, not command-q), it logs me out in Safari. Is this the expected behavior? I’m still trying to understand the behavior of the new Safari extensions, as more of my extensions transition to the new method.
    Thanks.

• Leah Bachmann says:

Hi Peter,
      That’s not the expected default behavior. See if it logs you off when just closing the app window using the red x button (that is, the window with your LastPass vault). That should be basically the same thing as command-q. If that does not log you off, then check your hot keys settings in the preferences (Open App window, Menu Bar > LastPass > Preferences > Hotkeys) and make sure nothing is set in the “Log Out” settings. I doubt that’s it but worth checking.

If you have additional problems, please submit a ticket here: https://lastpass.com/supportticket.php?lpnorefresh=1

Thanks,
      Leah

• Ian Davidson says:

Hi Lastpass, just wondering when you are going to update your downloads page to reflect these new important new changes for Safari users?

• Ian Davidson says:

When I download the app from the link above app shown in on the disk image is version v4.22 but the version from the App Store already installed in my Mac /Applications is a newer version v4.3. My Safari extension version is 4.19.0.5 and I’m not able to force an update to 4.22, even when I uninstall the extension, app and fully reinstall. This is the same on multiple Macs that I am managing in my office.

• Ian Davidson says:

The solution: go to /Applications > LastPass – get info on the App. If the version is 4.3 then quit and delete the App. Then download the older 4.22 from the link https://lastpass.com/safariAppExtension.php and install it in your Applications. Now when I go to Safari Preferences > Extensions I see the newer 4.22 version and Safari fully integrates with the App – in some cases you may need to hit the checkbox to enable it.

• Leah Bachmann says:

Hi Ian,
      We are starting by rolling this out to a small group of users first and then we will be updating the download page very soon so everyone has access. Thanks for your response.

Leah