Redditors, rejoice! You can now enable two-factor authentication (2FA) on your Reddit account. And even better, you can use LastPass Authenticator as your 2FA app of choice to add that extra security.
Why 2FA for your Reddit account?
2FA adds another layer of security by prompting you for an additional code. The code is generated by an app on your phone and is only valid for a limited period of time.
The added security is intended to keep people from gaining unauthorized access to your account. Even if someone were to steal your Reddit account password, they still wouldn’t be able to log in without the 2FA code.
But remember – that’s no excuse to use a weak password for your Reddit account. Every password you use for every online account should be unique and long and locked up in your password manager.
How to enable 2FA for Reddit
- Log in to your Reddit account.
- Click on preferences in the top menu and select the password/email tab.
- Choose the option to enable two-factor authentication.
- If you haven’t already, download LastPass Authenticator from the iOS or Play store.
- From LastPass Authenticator, tap the “Add” button and select the option to scan bar code.
- Scan the barcode and type in the 6-digit code listed under the Reddit entry.
- You’ll see a success message from Reddit and a reminder to generate backup codes.
For more information, be sure to head to Reddit’s Help Center.
Logging in to Reddit with 2FA
Once you’ve set up two-factor authentication for your account, you’ll be prompted for a 6-digit code every time you log in. Once you enter your username and password, look at the LastPass Authenticator app to type in the code that’s displayed.
This process is even easier for LastPass users, since LastPass will autofill your Reddit username and password for you. Then all you need to do is type that code to complete your login. Going forward, we hope Reddit will also add the option to trust a device. That way, you won’t have to enter the 2FA code on the devices you frequently use.
2FA is a quick, convenient way to add very strong security to your account. Don’t delay in taking advantage of this feature, not only on Reddit but on every online account where it’s available!