If online security isn’t top of mind for you already, it should be in October. This month marks the 14th annual National Cyber Security Awareness Month (NCSAM), an initiative co-founded and led by the National Cyber Security Alliance (NCSA) and the U.S. Department of Homeland Security to ensure everyone has the resources they need to be safer and more secure online. Most importantly, NCSAM is all about taking ownership of your online security and recognizing the role we all play in a safer digital space.
With the number of mega-breaches and ransom attacks that make national news (think Equifax, HBO, and WannaCry), our online safety simply cannot be an afterthought any more. According to Verizon 2017 Data Breach Investigations Report, 81% of data breaches involve weak, reused, or stolen credentials. That’s significantly higher than the 63% it was in 2016.
As an official NCSAM Champion and NCSA partner, we’re here to help you learn how to stay safe and secure online and get involved throughout the month of October. In addition to all of the great resources produced by StaySafeOnline.org, we will also be sharing lots of helpful resources and advice for our LastPass community.
During NCSAM, each week in October is themed to focus on a different cybersecurity issue or trend. Stay tuned to this blog and our social channels for content that echoes these weekly themes:
- Oct. 2-6: Simple Steps to Online Safety
- Oct. 9-13: Cybersecurity in the Workplace is Everyone’s Business
- Oct. 16-20: Today’s Predictions for Tomorrow’s Internet
- Oct. 23-27: The Internet Wants You: Consider a Career in Cybersecurity
- Oct. 30-31: Protecting Critical Infrastructure From Cyber Threats
There are many ways you can get involved in NSCAM and help someone learn how to be safe online, not just in October, but throughout the year. Here are some suggestions:
- Check out NCSA’s online security advice for all digital citizens – in this infographic and tips sheet!
- Follow @LastPass in your social community of choice as we join in the #CyberAware conversation.
- Join the weekly #ChatSTC Twitter chats every Thursday at 3pm ET, where we’re officially partnering with @STOPTHNKCONNECT to discuss important cybersecurity topics.
- Send an email to friends and family informing them that October is National Cyber Security Awareness Month and the perfect time to try LastPass. Use our referral option to earn Premium credit – and give your recipients Premium credit, too!
- Subscribe to the blog so you can share our articles & videos with friends, family, and colleagues.
For our Enterprise Admins, don’t forget about our popular NCSAM toolkit that we first shared with you during last NCSAM. It’s got all the materials you need to plan special LastPass-related activities throughout the month, so you can spread awareness of your deployment of LastPass Enterprise and boost adoption.
Improving our online security, both at home and in the workplace, doesn’t have to be a daunting task. Take it one step at a time, starting with what you use the most – passwords!