Bringing a business password manager into your company is a major win for security and productivity. As an IT admin, you can alleviate the fear of breach and privileged account misuse through better visibility and enforceable policies. Plus, employees are no longer frustrated by password overload. Achieving this success means delivering the password manager to every employee, quickly and accurately. And when you have hundreds or thousands of employees, automation of that process is essential.
Today, we’re introducing the new LastPass Active Directory Connector to help you more effectively manage your LastPass Enterprise deployment. Now in use by over 500 businesses, AD Connector helps you quickly get LastPass in the hands of employees, efficiently manage it on a day-to-day basis, and achieve faster ROI for LastPass.
How AD Connector Helps IT Admins
Many businesses rely on Microsoft Active Directory as their “source of truth” for employee identities, including 95% of the Fortune 500. When choosing a business password manager, you need a solution that can leverage that source of truth for creating employee vaults, assigning policies, and controlling shared access to credentials. Without directory integration, trying to manage those processes at scale can be time-intensive, resource-intensive, and leave you open to errors.
LastPass has long supported sync with AD to help you feed the relevant information from your user directory into LastPass. With the new integration with AD, you can:
- Provision existing and new user profiles automatically
- Deprovision disabled or deleted profiles automatically
- Leverage groups for policies, Shared Folder assignments, and SAML SSO app assignments
- Advance filters and nested groups to manage users at scale
LastPass does all of the heavy lifting for you with an automated, easy-to-manage integration.
The Details: What’s In AD Connector
The LastPass AD Connector brings many new features and functionality, including:
- A more intuitive wizard-like interface, so you can quickly configure directory integration for your environment.
- Support for nested groups, allowing you greater flexibility in choosing what you sync to LastPass.
- Advanced filtering and whitelisting options, so LastPass ignores the information you’ve deemed irrelevant to your deployment.
- Sync of custom attributes, for tailoring of your LastPass user directory.
- Overall better performance, market tested with hundreds of companies.
Head to our admin manual here: https://enterprise.lastpass.com/users/set-up-create-new-user-2/active-directory-sync/ to dive into more of the technical details.
Moving from the AD Sync Client to AD Connector
To take advantage of the expanded features and improved performance, we recommend that our Enterprise customers create a plan for transitioning from the previous LastPass AD Sync Client to the new AD Connector.
Transitioning is as simple as uninstalling the old client and downloading the new AD Connector from the admin dashboard, then configuring the new client. See our article for more information about transitioning and available options: https://enterprise.lastpass.com/users/set-up-create-new-user-2/active-directory-sync/#h6
The latest update and release notes are available in the Directory Integrations tab of the admin dashboard.
As always, use the Contact Us option from the admin dashboard to share any questions or feedback with our team!