LastPass Service Interruptions

Service Interruption Update

5/28/15

On Wednesday afternoon, we observed an increase in latency in one of our datacenters. This was tracked to I/O spikes on one of our databases.  We started seeing drive errors and began replacing the affected drives. During this same period, several other servers went down at once and one did not recover.  We suspect this was due to a brief power issue but are continuing to investigate. We immediately remediated the issues and estimate that the ultimate connectivity impact was to the web-based features of our service for approximately 25% of our users.

Although these circumstances were unusual, we are actively taking steps to further increase our resiliency moving forward. As always, our customers are our first priority and we apologize for any inconvenience this downtime may have caused.

5/27/15

On Wednesday, May 27th, LastPass experienced some intermittent connectivity issues on LastPass.com.  As of 4:21pm EST, all users have full access to their LastPass accounts online.

Remember, you always have access to your locally stored vault via your extension or mobile app in offline mode.

We will report back as soon as possible as to the reason for the outage.  We appreciate your patience and apologize for any inconvenience.

• Ian says:

Still cannot use Lastpass on Chrome, what is going on ? Has there been a security breach?

• Tong says:

Thanks and very much appreciate for this notification. I wish and expect further information from Lastpass to demonstrate its transparency practice. As the notification mentioned …”all user have full access to their Lastpass account?” Did anyone loss the “Secure note”?

• Thomas says:

I would like to know some more details as well what caused the downtime.

• Fortino says:

Today’s incident has caused a serious problem to our company and with security as the top concern, we expect lastpass to release detail information about the issues once fully identified. Do you have an estimate date/time to release the report?

• Gavin Mariani says:

At ~24 hours post-incident, we want an update.

• terry says:

We apologize for the inconvenience caused. We have updated the post with additional details regarding yesterday’s connectivity issues.

• Stefan says:

I think there should be a status page for exactly this reason. Now we only get to know what went down after the fact, there is no transparency on availability or uptime history. A status page like the one Heroku uses would make me feel a lot more comfortable with this product. https://status.heroku.com/

Also, for me at least, offline mode did not work during this outage. When I opened my vault, it was simply empty. I find it weird that I can’t go into offline mode manually.

• Tom says:

Since this is a security focused product i presume there will be full disclosure of what happened when the issues are resolved and the cause identified ?