LastPass’ App Fill on Android Gets an Update

By November 18, 2014 Mobile 39 Comments
At LastPass, we’ve always believed in making it as easy as possible to practice good password security on all your devices. We’re furthering that mission with our latest update on Android, which brings near-universal support for logging in to apps and web sites.

Until now, the structure of some apps, like banking and financial apps, required extra steps to get logged in. Today we’re releasing the App Fill Helper, which can fill your credentials in almost any app or web site. It’s there when you need it, but can just as easily be disabled or enabled for any or all apps.

The App Fill Helper appears on the edge of your screen, in browsers and selected apps. The helper can be dragged to either side of your screen, so it stays out of the way while being easily accessible to assist with your login.

When you tap the helper, LastPass displays matching logins for the web site or app. In the cases where the web site or app doesn’t allow LastPass to autofill, as we sometimes see with financial apps, the app fill helper will offer convenient copy-paste options instead.

Overall, this update allows us to help you log into more web sites and apps than ever before. Now you’re typing less and getting an improved mobile experience, because LastPass can better handle the huge variety of apps and mobile web sites.

Available in the Google Play Store, the updated LastPass app supports filling logins in Android mobile apps and a number of mobile browsers, including Chrome, Opera, Yandex, Boat Browser, InBrowser, Amazon’s Silk Browser, and Javelin.

The LastPass for Android app is part of our Premium service for $12 per year, with a free two-week trial for you to test out the features before upgrading. Or, upgrade today for unlimited mobile sync and even more password management features.

Get Premium

• Matt Olenik says:

Yeah, very disappointed by this. It makes no sense to have this chathead style helper visible when an app is open. It’s open 100% of the time, but logging in is something that happens like 1% of the time. It’s very annoying. Even after you dismiss it, it comes right back the next time. Frankly I’m shocked that it even shipped. I mean, LastPass, you all USE your own app, right? How were you not instantly annoyed with it? As a professional developer, I’d NEVER ship this. It’s simply unacceptable and not fair to paying customers.

I really hate it. It is in my face in every single app, even Textra which has no login function, all over the place, all the time. I have turned it off maybe 50 times and it is still in my face. Every time I turn it off, a stupid message appears saying that I can turn it off altogether in Preferences.
      But in app Lastpass => Preferences there is no switch. There is _nothing_ called “Helper” in Preferences.
      I don’t know how Lastpass seem to manage to miss the target almost every time.
      I cannot see any possibility but uninstalling.

• Anatoly_LP says:

The option under Preferences is “Edit fill helper settings”, under the “App fill” section. Also it’s off by default in the new build, but if you upgraded from the last build, you have to turn the option off manually.

Sorry, can’t find any “App fill” options or preferences.
      Also, for some reason, despite repeated checking of the Play App, was offered update to latest Lastpass only 3 days after other people. Can’t see why, as many other apps were updating.
      Now the latest Lastpass is installed, it’s in my face all over again in every single app still, apparently punishing me for being an inadvertent “early adopter” of the “app fill” nuisance.
      In latest version, still cannot find any way to control App Fill – I cannot find under preferences what you are suggesting can fix it.

Why do you people make it so hard, and so unfriendly ?
      Every significant update, LP manages to make the wrong choices for real-world users and breaks the useablility.
      I’m sick of it.
      App uninstalled.

• Anatoly_LP says:

To disable, log into your LastPass account, go to Preferences, in the App Fill section uncheck Show fill helper in browsers, Show fill helper in apps.

Also keep in mind that this was an optional feature that was presented to you when you installed the new release. Although we did get some negative feedback, and adjusted accordingly, the overwhelming response we got has been positive. Those people just don’t post here. :)

• KP says:

Yep, not really helpful. In most Apps I’m logged in already / no login required, which makes this functionality really annoying unfortunately..

• Anatoly_LP says:

FWIW, there are entire classes of apps (such as bank and other finance apps) that do not keep you logged in, and in fact frequently force you to log out, for which this feature is very useful. But fortunately we made it very easy to disable as well. The new release actually changes the default so it doesn’t show up in all apps by default, so that should make it less annoying as well.

• It’s just not working. In Chrome, I touch the helper, it pops up showing the current login but just disappears before filling the password and re-doing it does not help either.

• Anatoly_LP says:

You have to select the login to fill before it will actually fill. Or are you saying that the matching sites window disappears before you can select the login?

• Clicking the helper icon, the app opens up with a pin window(I have enabled pin request), I type in the pin. Immediately after the pin is typed, the helper window shows the matching URLs window for a fraction of second and then it disappears before I choose the matching login.

• Anatoly_LP says:

Thanks, we’ve had a couple reports of the matching sites window closing too quickly, but haven’t been able to reproduce it. Could you try uninstalling the app then reinstalling?

• Thank you. Re-installing the app solved it. I am loving it. Thank you very much LastPass.

Will there be support for the Android version of LastPass with Firefox integration? The LastPass plugin does not appear to load my password vault when attempting to use the Firefox plugin. Integration with the native Android application would be a welcome feature!

I would like to +1 this comment. Lastpass app has very little application for Firefox Mobile and the addon requires duplication of logins. Getting these to play nice would be fantastic!

• Anatoly_LP says:

We were in contact with the Firefox mobile devs, who said they were going to implement some kind of integration scheme, but haven’t heard back from them yet. If they implement something reasonable, we will try to support it.

Would you or anyone else know the bug tracker link to the development of this on Firefox?

I am impatiently waiting for this as the Lastpass Addon for Firefox Mobile doesn’t work for all sites.

• Anatoly_LP says:

As far as I know it doesn’t have a bug entry. It was an informal conversation.

I agree with the above posters, could we get a bug entry setup for this as a feature request? Not having Firefox integration is a huge letdown!

Unfortunately the fill in function is still having problems with HTACCESS (login/password) popups :(

• Martin says:

Sadly, enabling the LastPass accessibility service (needed for the fill service), still has a very negative impact on overall performance on my phone (Nexus 5). Try scrollin in your Play store list of apps for example. With the service disabled it is smooth as butter, but with it enabled there is lots of stuttering.

• James says:

Hi, are you using Lollipop or Kitkat? I’m on Lollipop and do notice stutters, but not sure if it’s due to Lastpass?

Kitkat had this issue…but in Lollipop is gone

• Martin says:

I’m running Lollipop, but I had the exact same problem while on Kitkat. Whenever there’s a new LastPass release, I temporarily enable the accessibility service just to see if they’ve fixed the performance problem, but sadly that hasn’t happened yet. As I said previously, the “My apps” list in the Play Store app is a great way to test this. Give it a quick swipe, and wait for the scrolling to slowly come to a stop. With LP enabled, you will se lots of stuttering when it slows down, but as soon as you disable the service, everything is smooth again. It is definitely due to the LP service.

Interesting… I’m on Lollipop on a Nexus 5, and both the Lastpass and Greenify accessibility services severely impair scrolling – particularly in Chrome. If only one is activated (either one), scrolling is impaired. If both are activated, scrolling grinds to a halt.

I too experience an inordinate amount of stuttering when I enable the fill service on Lollipop, but only in chrome. Most (all?) other apps besides chrome as still silky smooth, but if I attempt to use Chrome, especially on websites with a lot of images, the scrolling stutters to the point of being unusable.

Disabling the LastPass fill service immediately alleviates the issue. Anything I can provide to help diagnose and fix the slowdown?

I can confirm this on my N5 running Lollipop. It is noticeable though not severe in the Play Store app, but especially the stutter in Chrome has been driving me crazy and I had no idea as to the cause. Thanks for the info.

• Anatoly_LP says:

Just to prove a point, I ran an experiment where I disabled all processing of accessibility events in the LastPass accessibility service, so all it was doing was receiving events from Android and dropping them, and Chrome still showed this behavior. This, plus the fact that you can reproduce this problem with other apps that have accessibility service, such as Greenify, leads me to believe that the actual cause lies either in Chrome or Android itself.