Update on LastPass Connectivity Errors

At 3:57 Eastern Time this morning, one of the data centers that LastPass relies on went down. Our team immediately took action to migrate LastPass to run entirely on a different data center. As a result, many users experienced connection errors with the LastPass service, and LastPass.com has been intermittently unavailable throughout the morning. We have been engaged with our data center provider the entire time to resolve the issues. Please note this does not impact the security of your data.

We are doing everything we can to mitigate the impact and resolve the situation as quickly as possible, and apologize for the inconvenience caused. We strongly recommend users login through the browser extensions to access their vault, where most users should have access though some may still see warnings that they are in “offline mode”.

We will continue to update our user base and appreciate your patience.

Update: 1:28 pm EST

Though one of our data centers remains completely down, the service is generally stable and should be available to the majority of users (with the exception of login favicons). Some users may see connection errors but should still be able to access their data. We continue to work as quickly as possible to get the service back to 100%.

Update: 4:13 pm EST

Most users should now be able to connect to LastPass browser extensions and LastPass.com without errors, though favicons still may not sync. We continue to closely monitor the situation.

August 13, 2014: Post Mortem of Yesterday’s Outage

As noted in our original post, on August 12th, 2014 a data center that LastPass relies on went down around 4 am Eastern Time. Below, we have outlined the timeline of events as they unfolded at the data center and with the LastPass service at large.

We again sincerely apologize for the inconveniences caused, and want to assure our community we are moving forward stronger than before, as we remain deeply committed to the security and reliability of our service for our users.

Joe Siegrist
CEO of LastPass

Summary of Events

The majority of users were unaffected due to having proper redundancy in place to deal with the loss of a data center, as well as the built-in offline access via the LastPass browser extensions. However, during our efforts to scale at the secondary data center to ensure sufficient capacity at peak of the day, we inadvertently worsened the situation through human error. Our team certainly has takeaways from the experience and will be implementing changes going forward, as detailed in the concluding statements below.

We did receive a full RFO from our data center confirming that the BGP routing table issues affecting other companies yesterday played a role as well. For more, see: http://www.zdnet.com/internet-hiccups-today-youre-not-alone-heres-why-7000032566/

Timeline of Events (EDT)

3:50 am – We detected extreme latency and packet loss between one of our data centers and most major networks, including inter-connectivity with the other data center.

3:54 am – Our monitoring system detected the situation as critical and paged two operators.

4:00 am – We contacted our data center provider regarding the issue we were experiencing with their service.

5:00 am – With no update from our impacted data center provider, we switched from two data centers to run entirely on the second data center and disabled the affected data center.

6:00 am – We noticed IPv6 has suddenly started working at the now-disabled data center, making it clear to us that major networking changes were being made.

7:00 am – Our report was escalated by the impacted data center provider.

8:00 am – We determined that the outage will likely be extended, so we executed on a plan to add some spare machines into load balancing at the second data center to ensure we would have plenty of spare capacity at the peak of the day.

8:15 am – We began to receive alerts of intermittent connectivity issues at our second (now only) data center.

8:30 am – A small percentage of users reported logout errors that prevented them from utilizing offline mode.

9:00 am – We continued trying to work with our impacted data center provider, but received no updates on the situation or information on resolution.

9:30 am – Latency and connectivity issues increased at the second (now only) data center, which we began investigating.

10:00 am – We received acknowledgement from our impacted provider indicating this is a widespread problem, and indicated they would reload the core routers. They noted that it may be an extended outage.

10:30 am – The impacted data center’s network went completely down.

12:00 pm – We tracked down the source of an issue at the second data center, in which 3 machines we had added were running at 100Mbps instead of Gigabit (despite having Gigabit cards and being connected to Gigabit switches) and were network saturated.

12:45 pm – We resolved the issue with the 3 additional machines, and fully restored service still running on the second data center only, though favicons remained disabled.

2:15 pm – Impacted provider indicated they were fully online, though those machines remained unreachable for us.

2:30 pm – We authorized the impacted data center staff to reboot our networking equipment, with no effect.

3:30 pm – We discovered the underlying issue with why some users are being logged off immediately after login and resolved.

3:45 pm – Members of our team arrived at the impacted data center, and verified that our networking equipment was still down.

4:15 pm – We completed a swap to spare equipment, bringing the impacted data center back online.

8:45 pm – We completed testing and confirmed that replication to secondary data center looked good, and were fully restored with both data centers active again.

Conclusions & Lessons Learned

As a result of yesterday’s events, we have formed the following key takeaways and action steps:

• We have moved our status page to be hosted outside our network, since it was inaccessible for periods of time.
  • In an effort to gather more detailed information for our community, we delayed communicating about the situation. Going forward, we will share what information we have, however sparse, and work to update the community from there, via the blog, the status page, our social accounts, and email where appropriate.
  • Our monitoring checks now verify port speed:

for i in `ip addr show | grep UP | egrep -v ‘tun[0-9]+:|lo:’ | awk -F ‘: ‘ ‘{print $2}’`;do echo -n $i ; ethtool $i | grep “Speed:”; done

• We are considering moving to another data center provider.
  • In an effort to improve the situation, we worsened it through our actions, and we will be more cautious in taking preventative actions when running on a single data center.
  • We’re moving to a hosted model for DNS that includes external service checks.
  • Though we designed some systems to be ‘non-critical’, such as favicons for sites, we’ll be improving our systems to minimize visual disruption during a massive outage.
  • A small number of users were impacted by an inability to access the service offline, we continue to investigate and test this.
  • We will be implementing more disaster and redundancy tests of our systems to better prepare for a catastrophic, single data center scenario.

Still no joy on logging in at 11:24am MDT Saturday September 13, 2014. Site just spins and spins and sometimes (mostly in Chrome) comes back with a white screen. I have tried three different browsers with the same result. Internet connections is clean.

• JonD says:

Where is the Lastpass Status page? https://lastpass.com/status.php redirects here to this blog.

• I manage a _very_ robust and redundant co-location center, would be happy to assist if you’re looking for a new home or another DR location… :)

It wasn’t working for me… had to clear DNS cache to get it working again.

And maybe look into that BGP thing yourselves.

Shell scripts are great for a quick and dirty monitoring system. But for customer-facing, HA services? C’mon. Put on your big boy pants and buy a real monitoring system.

• mahdi ameri says:

Hi, I’ve downloaded and installed the software in 180 days, but not License but it free

Takeaways from this event:

1. Configure LastPass to work in offline mode.
    2. Regularly backup your data by doing an export to a LastPass Encrypted File
    3. Download the LastPass Pocket app for accessing your backup.
    4. Test everything
    5. CYA: Never completely rely on any cloud service.

• The update made available today has resolved all of my desktop/plugin issues with keeping signed in. Sh** happens and this was a good recovery considering any fail-over contingencies did not work. I would imagine LastPass will have some postmortem action items come from this that will improve service in the future.

I have not tried the Android app, but it was also giving me issues… I hope that will also receive an update today if not already.

Annoyed that regular support had no idea what was going on. They were making me reinstall browsers / extensions while the issue was really with the server going offline. :/

• Offline mode actually worked well for me. Only knew about the outage due to a Google+ post pointing to this blog. The only bug I ran across is new entries did not show up in the interface until the service was back online (Firefox/Linux). Is there a better place then this forum to submit a bug request?

I hope you’ll post a detailed postmortem of the situation. As a sysadmin I’m always interested in applying lessons learned to my own situations. Building redundant systems can truly be difficult, and I always interested when things break (the Netflix outages have been interesting reads…although frustrating to me at the time as well)

Thanks for an overall awesome service.

Yes, blaming a user for not installing something correctly is a good choice. You’re clearly helping diffuse the situation.
    Nowhere does it state in the google webstore that there’s a lack of offline mode in the chrome extension. I’m assuming there will be in the future.
    The fact that this is the first time it’s been a major issue is good, however clearly lastpass needs to communicate with their users better as to what functionality their products have.

• Wow! The butt hurt around here is unbelievable, and I dare to bet most of it comes from free users (note that I also only use the LastPass as a free user).

Anyway, all the people complaining about “offline mode does not work” seem to be caught in a PEBCAK type situation.

Chrome user? Your own fault. If you didn’t install LastPass from the Windows Installer but just the browser pluggie you’re SOL … the Chrome pluggie doesn’t have a “binary extension” to it for the offline cache functionality. Blame Google for the world’s crappiest browser plug-in system.

Firefox/Mozilla-based User? Well, for as long as you installed the plugin having the “binary extension” you’re well covered during service down-times. I had no problem during this outage at all … just that “You are now in offline mode” notification popping up every few minutes (@LastPass – please fix that so it only displays once or remembers that it was told to take a hike).

The only thing worth being pointed out is that LastPass was kinda vague with their information (note the many “language corrections” replies above – but that’s also to be expected of a large company … once they are no longer a start-up they fall into the, as I tend to call it, “tip-toeing speak”). I experienced the outage HOURS before this blog post even existed and didn’t break a sweat; offline mode just worked perfectly.

That much in defense for LastPass since I’m satisfied with the service they offer – and in case of an outage (@complainers: Remember, s**t can, and will, happen) either be sure you correctly installed LastPass or use a offline password vault (KeePass and the likes) in parallel (@”enterprise” admins/users: crying out here only displays you’re the wrong person for the job as you clearly have no idea about what you’re doing).

Anyway, thanks to the LastPass team for the update on what was going on, and looking forward to the post-mortem to read up on what happened (always amusing to read about BGP sanfu’s).

I hate to burst your smug bubble, but offline access to LastPass did not work correctly for me. It is installed correctly, and I have tested it before and after the outage.

I am a paid user, but even if I wasn’t, I would still complain about it. Just because a service is free doesn’t mean there should be no expectation of service quality. LP depends on their free users becoming paid users, and it is in their best interest to keep them satisfied. Hopefully they do not share your haughty attitude toward users who experienced issues.

You said “the Chrome pluggie doesn’t have a “binary extension”
      Wrong, there is a binary and non-binary version on the download page.

You said “Firefox/Mozilla-based User? Well, for as long as you installed the plugin having the “binary extension” …”
      Wrong again. There is only one version of the FF plugin, which includes the binary.

According to the LassPass User Manual:
      “By manually installing a binary plugin version, the LastPass extensions in Chrome, Safari, Opera, and Maxthon can add functionality. Firefox and Internet Explorer automatically hosts these options by default.”

You said: “In short, complaining about this problem when you’re a free user and you didn’t install LastPass through the Installer is not only rude but you’re also displaying your lacking skills at using a computer/OS loud-and-proud. If you’re a premium user and you’re complaining about offline mode not working, then you definitely got the proper installation of LastPass totally wrong.”
      Wrong again, and also you are a complete dick.

According to the LastPass User Manual (Offline Access to Your LastPass Vault):

“Any LastPass browser extension or mobile application can be logged into without an internet connection, and will default to this mode when no connection is present.”

Also, Offline access is not listed as a feature of the binary component:

In conclusion, you are not qualified to be involved in this discussion.

Just to let LP know: I am near Perth, Western Australia. We are currently 12 ahead of NYC, USA.

My LP icon is on my Firefox browser & I can log into it. But, it will not auto-log me into any website. I am currently having to access it via “edit” in the vault, then copy/paste.

FYI

• micky1701 says:

I guess I was lucky and did not experience any issues with LP today. My knowledge and experience with LP is ongoing and I know that they strive to provide the best service for password management. There were obvious issues today but I am confident that LP will incorporate changes that will make there service stronger. They learn from their mistakes and take corrective action. I am also aware that although they are ultimately responsible for their service that their are other vendors that probably had a hand in the disruption of services. Again I applaud LP in their efforts to provide us with critical reports concerning outbreaks like heartbleed and tools to help us keep our passwords secure and monitor sites we visit. As much as LP will put in the effort to make their service more Highly Available, we who need their service like the air we breath have to be more productive and make sure an offline procedure is in place and tested to satisfaction. Unless I am missing something it would be as simple as disconnecting the Internet – restarting you PC and seeing if your solution is working. I am an avid listener of the Security Now podcast with Steve Gibson who highly recommends your service. I would highly recommend contacting him with your findings and future plans so that he can spread the word. Thanks again for your outstanding service and feedback during this stressful time. Certainly much better than communications we received back from the Network Solutions outages of the past.

3:57 or poor server team =/

• How much of this failure is related to the “512k day” BGP outage?

• 1. Is Lastpass working as advertised?
    2. Have I tried so many times to get into the system that I am now locked out?
    3. Can I talk to someone in Tech Support?
    4. Can I start over, with the same UN as before but somehow get a new PW? The system will not let me do this.

Hi Steven:

1. Yes, LastPass is fully operational.
      2. We do have lockouts in place if you try logging in too many times. Please wait at least 10 minutes before trying again.
      3. Yes, please submit a report here: https://lastpass.com/supportticket.php if we can help with any ongoing problems or questions.
      4. Yes, you can delete the account: https://lastpass.com/delete_account.php?np=1 and start over with the same email address. Any Premium credit you’ve already purchased would be transferred automatically if you sign up again with the same email.

Let us know if we can be of further help.

• I signed up for Premium today-before I figured out something was wrong. Maybe a mistake. I am new to Last Pass and I tried about 50 times to put in my PW–then I thought it was me so I tried versions of my password. Now I fear I am locked out, I can’t find a number to call on my cell, Help!!

Sorry JP (and all the others with similar remarks), ‘Offline’ mode was not working as advertised in this case, for myself and others who have commented above.

I assume offline mode is meant for occasions when your computer is offline. I don’t think it is designed to deal with LastPass servers being offline, or partially offline. In my case, my browser plug-in simply did not work on my laptop. I even completely disconnected from the network, and no dice. Later in the morning I logged into my desktop, and it worked fine. Once I saw comments that the servers were back up, I was again able to use my laptop.

I can only guess that the plug-in was able to partially communicate with the servers, but received some kind of error or incomplete communication, and this resulted in the offline cache being unavailable.

Certainly something LastPass should investigate.

• JP says:

Let this be a lesson to all the whiners. Keep an offline encrypted copy of your lastpass data.

For as often as my passwords change, it is not possible to use encrypted copies because by the time i need them, they would most likely contain old data which is USELESS TO ME.

Now, unless you’re someone who changes passwords once every year, i say go for it LOL.

I think you might be confused. He is not referring to exporting your vault as a static backup you can refer to in the future. He is referring to the feature built-in to LastPass to cache your entire vault locally so that it is available when you computer is offline. This cache is constantly updated while you use LastPass.

Unfortunately for some of us, this offline cache was not working correctly during this outage. (see my comment below.)

• JP says:

Actually I was referring to an encrypted export of passwords, which will always be accessible on or offline.

Clearly the value of this backup is a function of how often you perform the export and how often your data changes. To characterize the backup as “Useless” is an extreme position which is difficult to accept as factual.

Sorry, that is obvious to me now after reading your comment again. I agree its a good idea to keep an encrypted export as a backup. The frequency of the export would be dictated by how often your passwords change.

I’ve got more than just passwords in my vault and definitely want a completely self-contained copy of my data that does not rely on LP service being available.

As a Premium Member, i expect the best out of Lastpass. Lastpass should always have a backup plan, I’m too busy to make backups and shit.

I tried logging into my email but couldn’t, because lo and behold, my generated 25-character password was being held hostage.

DO NOT LET IT HAPPEN AGAIN or i will end my subscription!! >:OOOOO

I’m a premium member, and while the site was down this morning, my offline system worked just fine. See, LP creates a vault on your system if you want it to. But thanks, I have your email password and you don’t have anything of interest today.

The complainers crack me up. Having worked in enterprise IT for the past 3 decades, I see these types of system problems more often than I’d like. For this situation, It isn’t like the folks at LastPass haven’t provided ways for you to backup your data. If you haven’t done it, blame yourself. Learn from your mistake. As good as we try to bulletproof systems, sometimes stuff happens. That’s just life. You can complain about it, or take some thoughtful action (maintain backups).

• Peter McCreary says:

Amber, many thanks, I am back up and running. As a Last Pass Premium member, thank you for the service. It is a big help to me in so many ways.

I’m a Last Pass Premium account user and I pay for the service, and didn’t even notice any loss of functionality.
    I use Last Pass all day, every day, and even when I was using the free service it was excellent.
    I’m sure these Last Pass guys are working with your best interests at heart, so cut them some slack and quit some of the pointless whining; some people are chuntering on as if the world has ended for them!

lotta whiney people here…thanks LP!

…and you’re okay with what LP did, because you weren’t in the middle of the mess?? thought so.

• Jonathan says:

Been using LP all day in UK with 2FA. All working fine in the UK, didn’t know there was a problem until a few minutes ago when I had a friendly and helpful email from LP explaining that there had been an outage.

3 years later, 1 significant outage and communication went out immediately. Lastpass will continue to get my money, thanks !

Xmarks sync has also failed, presenting all sorts of different and unusual sync failure messages. It Xmarks part of the same problem ? Or is Xmarks having an unrelated problem ?

• mahdi ameri says:

is very very good Thanks you . Enterprise last pass customer: and I want to say to LastPass…we still LOVE you guys and your service. You have saved us way, way more than 12 hours by allowing

Welcome to the “Cloud”. This is what you will continue to have with the almighty cloud computing. If you can’t stand a day of downtime every few months, don’t use it. Idiots.

Lastpass… I understand how things go. Bad things can happen. You still kick ass.

Enterprise last pass customer: and I want to say to LastPass…we still LOVE you guys and your service. You have saved us way, way more than 12 hours by allowing us to efficiently manage passwords. And for an unbelievably reasonable cost.

I’m sure you guys will learn & adapt from this experience. Keep up the good work!

I hope all you complainers out there are premium users…

I agree with Anonymous 1:18 wholeheartedly.

This is the first time in my several years with LastPass that the servers went down.

Keep up the great work!

Lots of strong words from customers enjoying a quality product for an extremely low cost (or free). I would like better geo redundancy from Last Pass, but ultimately appreciate the convenient service and have my own alternatives for fault tolerance…..and I appreciate it being inexpensive.

• Need an update. What time scale are we looking at?

This is the first time I ever had a service break since I started to use LastPass. And I am a user ever since XMarks stopped.
    But most important: the service is up and running again!

Amazing the quantity of whiners commenting here…ignore them, they’ll say the same bullshite about their next password manager. Just do your best to get things fixed and then figure out how not to have it happen again. :) Also, I did not even know there was an outage…I’ve been logging in fine all day…Quit whining and offer support and practical solutions.

Shame on you Lastpass

Finally.
    This has been a disaster, lastpass, and shown you up to be incompetent and amateurish.
    It would be interesting to hear what the cause of “one of our data centers has failed” was – if it was a breach then that will be the end of you.

back for me too

It’s back up for me. Try to log in.

Before moving to a different provider keep in mind that LastPass should be fully aware that their customer base can’t handle two outages. I would think that LP should be one of the most stable options after this downtime.

I use the LastPass Pocket as well to keep a backup of my passwords. To bad the password I need was created last night and I didn’t back it up. *sigh*

• nia says:

I have to disagree with these postings in defense of LastPass. LastPass DOES NOT store your passwords in the “cloud”. They store a one-way cryptographic “hash” of your master password in the cloud. Your passwords are local on your device and are unlocked using that hash. They can be unlocked other ways though too. For instance, LastPass offers several mechanisms to keep your encrypted password blob with you and locally on your computer. My recommendation: setup multi-factor authentication with Yubiko’s ‘Yubikey’ product per LastPass’ instructions on their site. Optionally, use the LastPass Pocket detailed here: https://helpdesk.lastpass.com/lastpass-on-the-go-2/lastpass-pocket/

Interesting as Lastpass states THEY DO, encryption is what is done locally.

Rubbish (nia, not Anonymous) – if you are seeing local passwords then they will be the browser that is serving them up, not lastpass.

The passwords are stored in the cloud, encrypted with your master password / hash. Otherwise, how would you be able to get a password down to, say, a new PC? It comes from the cloud.

Lastpass DOES keep an encrypted copy of your data in the cloud. This is what allows it to keep all your devices in sync such as another computer, phone, etc.

• nia says:

They explain the “salted hash” concept that they use, where passwords never actually reside in their datacenter, at this link: https://lastpass.com/how-it-works/ An even better explanation of the specifics is on the Security Now! podcast from a few years ago: https://www.grc.com/sn/sn-256.htm

• nia says:

Folks, please educate yourselves by listening to the detailed podcast I mention above, and by reading the LastPass site. I would NOT have been able to gain access to my passwords this morning, while Lastpass was down, if the passwords were stored in the cloud. I gained access to the passwords because I used my yubikey USB one-time password device to decrypt the LOCALLY stored passwords. There you have it.

So how do I log into a wiped-daily PC, go to lastpass.com, enter my password and auth code, and see a list of all my passwords then? I can guarantee that they aren’t stored locally on that PC.
      Answer: they are stored in the cloud.
      Doesn’t mean that you can’t have a local copy. Yo can,and I do on several PC’s, but they are also available through a browser.

• nia says:

I think there’s a semantic misunderstanding here. A copy of your encrypted password “blob”, as I’ve heard it called, is on the LP server. They can’t decrypt it even if served a subpoena. That same blob is also local on your computer. By contrast you CAN decrypt it independently without any access to the LastPass servers in their datacenter.

They go into more detail at the link below but here’s how LP describes this:

“All encryption/decryption occurs on your computer, not on our servers. This means that your sensitive data does not travel over the Internet and it never touches our servers, only the encrypted data does.”

• nia says:

Only when your cryptographic ‘blob’ is downloaded to your device, be it the browser at a cybercafe or to your iPhone, does the clear text password become visible. I probably should have worded my initial post as such:

“LastPass DOES NOT store your [unencrypted] passwords in the cloud. Your passwords are encrypted in a datafile that is local on your device, with a copy of that encrypted datafile periodically backed up to the LastPass server.”

I’m sorry for not wording it better originally. My original point was to show that LastPass does not make its users depend on access to the Internet.

• Bankbuddy says:

GRC.com is a great resource. I will know what to think of all this when The Explainer in Chief speaks.

What do you expect us to do? Keep a second copy of all the data?

I get that there are outages. That’s fine But when you have over 200 sites (everything!) in there and can’t log on to banking, twitter, or anything it can be annoying. I needed the password to connect to my media server and it was in Lastpass. Fortunately I had exported the data and was able to open it with LastPass Pocket but this is less than ideal.

I thought LP would work off-line when the server was down which would be fine but that’s not working either.

i had the same problem, so many passwords but not able to access any of them.

if the problem was on my end, that’s one thing. but for it to be on the service of another, that’s.. another.

keeping backup copies is nonsensical, and a waste of time. i’d have to make a copy after every password change just to keep the backup 100% usable, and that is NOT happening.

I’m only blaming myself for not keeping my hard copy list of password up to date.

On the other hand, I’m going to make the same mistake again eventually.

I may have to switch back to using my IronKey.

Looks like the service is up again, but obviously not for my DNS…

• Charlie E says:

Yes sites experience outages. However when you have a service like LP, redundancy is expected and why they still require manual intervention for an HA fail over means they do not have the right people for the job in there. Consequently we are paying for a service and have higher expectations