What Apple’s Announcements Could Mean For LastPass

apple_wwdc_2014_wallpaper_ipad__horizontal__by_dhanushparekh-d7cvr5q
Apple’s WWDC 2014 in San Francisco kicked off on June 2nd with a momentous keynote address that announced the arrival of iOS 8 and OS X 10.10 Yosemite. We’re very excited to see Apple taking a new direction, including increased consideration of the user experience regarding security and authentication. This new, more flexible direction allows services like ours to provide a better experience for our users.

Perhaps most relevant to LastPass are the changes on mobile with iOS 8. In the keynote, Apple indicated that they now support:

• TouchID fingerprint authentication
  • Keyboard integration
  • Extension functionality implemented through interactive notifications
  • A more open ecosystem where apps can “talk” to one another

We want our community to know that, though it remains to be seen how flexible these new functionalities are, and to what extent we can utilize them for the LastPass app specifically, we are optimistic that we’ll be able to provide an improved LastPass experience on iOS. Overall, these changes seem to signal a move by Apple towards a more flexible platform that empowers developers.

At LastPass, we’re committed to innovation and implementing the latest technologies to deliver the best possible user experience. We look forward to further exploring the possibilities of iOS 8.

• Bogdan says:

What I really need is this an iOS extension that lets me log-in into any app / site with LastPass. This is 1Password’s implementation:

When will this be available for LastPass? Pls tell me it’s really soon…

Any information about the next version with iTouch feature would be great. 1p is on sale..

Yes would expect this ASAP or will be switching over

• I am currently an Android use, but with all the improvements of iOS 8, I’m planning on coming back.

Great to see you all exploring all that there is to offer with the new enhancements!

• I have used almost every password manager out there. I just don’t think anything compares with the ease-of-use that LastPass offers. I just can’t wait to see how you implement with iOS 8. Wouldn’t it be lovely to use your fingerprint instead of a pin code on the LastPass application? Also, wouldn’t it be lovely if LastPass could simply talk to each app and use your auth directly? I don’t mind “fetching” my password at all—but wouldn’t it be great if you didn’t have to? I’m excited to see what your devs come up with!

• Dorian K says:

Are there any plans to do some improvement for OSX? the pocket app isn’t really ideal and is really shows it’s age.

• I use Android. My wife uses iOS. The LastPass experience on Android is amazing! I was shocked to discover that the iOS implementation was inferior when I helped her set it up on her iPhone. Hopefully these moves by Apple will let LastPass create the same awesome experience for iOS users.

• mxx says:

Folks, fingerprint scanner should be considered to be your username, NOT your password!

• I would anticipate that it would be added as a second factor of authentication, not as a replacement of a master password. Similar to how yubikey, google authenticator and all the others are used.

• Rodalpho says:

Agreed, I would like to use my fingerprint as a secondary authentication mechanism, not the sole one. Tertiary, actually, in the case of lastpass, as I already use google two-factor.

I don’t want lastpass to replace my keyboard as I fully intend to use swiftkey. Apple indicated that Safari on iOS would support real extensions in iOS8– that is the way to go.

• Hopefully a quick update will be out to resolve the crashing of the current version with the Developer beta :)

We’re hoping to address this with our next update, and will continue to work to improve leading up to iOS 8 official release :)

• If you thought the LastPass keyboard was handy, you would love what it can do in Android now. You get popups at password entry fields you can just tap to fill. No more special keyboard needed. Works for apps and web pages.

• Cody Wilson says:

I really look forward to a potential LastPass keyboard. During my last fling with Android, after switching back I really wished I had the LastPass keyboard to handle authentication in apps. Looking forward to a potential OS-wide LastPass functionality in apps!

• mxx says:

LastPass’ Android keyboard is pretty clunky to use.
      Their login popup is a much better(but less consistent/reliable) approach.

I agree, I only use the Laspass Android keyboard in very rare situations. And when I do use it, it’s usually a switch it on and then switch out right after type situation. You can’t use it as your full time keyboard. But the new login popup on android is amazing. That’s the way it should be.