Logging Into Android Apps Just Got Easier

By March 25, 2014 Mobile 391 Comments
android_blog
We’ve been hard at work to bring the latest in login technology to our Android experience. We’re excited to announce that the LastPass app for Android now autofills logins for your mobile apps, as well as websites in Chrome for Android.

Our updated Android app, which is part of our Premium service, is now available at the Google Play Store. Note that the new feature is available for apps on devices running Android 4.1 and later, and for Chrome on devices running Android 4.3 and later. Note that on Android 4.1 and 4.2, LastPass cannot autofill into apps, and will show copy buttons instead, and some apps may require that you manually paste the data.

So what makes this new functionality so awesome? It brings the same LastPass experience you’re used to on the desktop to all of your mobile apps and Chrome. When you launch a mobile app, LastPass can now detect that a username and password field are shown, and hover with a prompt for you to select a matching login. The new functionality eliminates more typing and tapping, making the mobile experience that much more fluid.

How It Works

To get started, the latest release of LastPass needs to be installed on your Android device. Once you’ve logged into LastPass, you will be prompted to enable the new functionality.

Then, you can launch an app of your choice from your homescreen. Once that app is launched, LastPass will detect the username and password fields. A pop-up will be displayed, prompting you to select a matching login that is stored in your vault.

Or, the prompt lets you know that no matching logins are stored for that app. If LastPass can’t find a matching login for the app, it will let you search your vault.

If you find the site login you need after searching your vault, LastPass will store that association, so it will match the entry in your vault automatically next time you use that specific app.

We’re also crowdsourcing app associations! Share your association with other LastPass users, and benefit from others sharing theirs, so LastPass can match more apps with sites automatically. When you confirm an app association, you will see an option to share it with other LastPass users.

New to LastPass on Android? Our app can be trialed for free for 2 weeks, simply search for LastPass at the Google Play store on your device and login with your LastPass account to start the trial. We also support the Dolphin HD and Firefox mobile browsers with LastPass addons, both part of our Premium service as well.

If you’re ready to upgrade to LastPass Premium, you can do so at https://lastpass.com/premium.php at any time.

• Adam Brice says:

Thanks for sharing amazing feedback, Can you make that “fix” a user option?

Android and iPhone Apps Development

• GreenGo says:

WTF is wrong. Lastpass screw up my banking password. It generate and then it saves it but when I try to login again it failed. Its not even working on chrome mobile. I can only reset my banking password once every 24 hours and now I am stuck. Good going Lastpass. You failed exactly at the point where I needed you.

We’re sorry to hear of the trouble, we’d like to take a closer look and fix this if possible. Please submit details to our team: https://lastpass.com/supportticket.php – and include the URL of your bank, the browser and operating system you’re using, and any observations you made as you were using LastPass to change your password.

• Lastpass is amazing app. i am a premium member..all premium features are awosome

• Bob De Dea says:

This is absolutely what I’ve been waiting for! Yay!!

Quick question: When the LastPass requester came up and asked if I would like to use LP to open the app next time, I accidentally said “No” instead of “Yes” – how can I correct this?

:) Bob

• Clark Newman says:

The pop-up just crashed on my HTC One- It covered the screen and I couldn’t click on it to cancel it or put in my master password. I had to reboot my phone.

• Thanks for posting this update. It is indeed helpful. Cheers!

• Zora Ferrel says:

Thanks for sharing this great update. It is very helpful.

• Julie says:

RE: Enabling LastPass accessibility service. After logging in: “Next, tap on the box to enable filling in forms.” Er, what box…? I only see my list of sites.

Thanks.

• For sure this great android technology is offered new way to retrieve lost password. But I don’t know why we can’t use this method in ios.

• Unknown says:

Hello,
    I am a developer and facing the issue in Samsung s3 auto login (Wrong information filled in wrong input fields).
    As per your comments(Amber GottMarch 27, 2014 at 11:07 AM) this issue has been fixed in LastPass application. could you please help me by suggesting the workaround you have applied.

I am trying to perform auto login in third party applications by pasting username/password in login page and auto submitting using android accessibility services.

But in samsung devices like (S3, S4) the username/password in pasting in wrong input filed. Rest of the devices like nexus4 and nexus5 behaving as expected.

It would be great full if you could help me. I have been searching for almost 3-4 days but didn’t found the solution.

Thanks!

• As a Last Pass Premium user, I was eager to try this update. LP has been loaded on my SIII for some time and I find it cumbersome at best.

• Frank Blau says:

As of 6/13, LastPass and Android KitKat still crashes the Homescreen. Grr.

• Anatoly_LP says:

I’m guessing you have a Droid RAZR M or HD? This appears to be a bug with the factory Android 4.4.2 update on the Droid RAZR series, related to the native Messaging app. Currently our recommended workaround is to move the Messaging app out of the common bar/dock at the bottom and onto the main part of the home screen.

• peterson says:

Your information about mobile apps is really interesting. Also I want to know the latest news about mobile apps. Can you update it in your website?

• Peter says:

Hi Amber, I am a premium subscriber. Can’t seem to get LP to pop up on Android for the Fidelity Investments app at all. I suspect it’s because their login is deeper within their UI than just the first screen. But either way, its doesn’t pop up at all. I am forced to go to the new LP Android app, find my “site” then copy the credentials in order to log in.

Advice?

• Hi

If i wrongly confirmed an assoiciation, how do i remove it?

I was browsing using Link Bubble and i associated 2 passwords to what i thought was the site, but in reality, it was the browser :(

Can you test America First Credit Union app as it doesn’t allow to be filled in automatically nor by the copy Or past method

I ignored my bank’s app by pressing the Ignore key. Now LastPass prompt never shows up. I opened a trouble ticket with support and they have no clue how to get it back. LastPass, please make your documentation clear and cover all the options of new features.

• Unknown says:

I seem to have a problem with this feature, that I don’t see already mentioned. On my Samsung SPH-D710 turning this feature on (which I had not done until last night) had the side effect of causing the phone to announce what homescreen page number it was on whenever I changed pages. Once I turned off the Lastpass accessibility service, the announcements disappeared.

I assume this isn’t the best place to report a bug… where to I go to formally do that?

Thanks

I have Samsung Galaxy Note 3 and this never works for me. The only way it works is I have to login to the last pass app, then go to my other apps. That defeats the whole purpose of app fill. Also, when I enable app fill, it disables all my proximity features/airtouch features. So basically lastpass app fill on my mobile phone is useless.

I’m evaluating this on my Samsung Galaxy S5. I cannot get the app fill to work for any apps. Last pass pop-up does not show up for any of the app. I even tried netflix app to make sure it is not an app compatibility issue but no luck. When I go to Accessibility, it shows Last Pass status as “ON” but clicking on last pass always shows the ON/OFF slider in OFF position. Has anyone seen this issue?

This doesn’t seem to work with Swiftkey on my HTC One running 4.4.2. Can that be fixed?

Does this support How about Kindle Fire HD? And any plans for iPhone?

I see that on galaxy s4 with 4.4.2 version it disables the swipe keyboard function to change input language…

is Lastpass safe to use on Heartbleed vulnerable 4.1.1 Android devices?

• Keith M says:

On my Samsung Note 3, enabling lastpass in accessibility also turns on highly annoying voice prompts in the default browser. Things like “loading started” and “page loaded” turning off lastpass in those settings also stops the prompts.

Any update? Other reports? This is with version from 4/11/14.

• Simon says:

On my Galaxy S2 (Android 4.1.2) when I install the app and enable filling passwords to Apps, the talkback voice gets activated for the home pages. There seem to be references to this elsewhere on the site. Is there a fix for this?

• Bill Treloar says:

How do I upgrade? Google Play gives me only the option to Open or Uninstall for m y LastPass Premium on my Droid phone. And logging into LastPass on the phone didn’t provide any upgrade prompt.

• Simon says:

After installing this on a Galaxy S2 Android 4.1.2, TTS gets activated for my home screen navigation – page 1 of 4 etc. The only way I could get it to stop was to uninstall Lastpass. This only happens if I enable Fill Into Apps. Any ideas how to switch the voice prompts off which only seem to appear on the home page and apps navigation?

• SturmDrang says:

Autofill DOES NOT work with Verizon Samsung Galaxy S5 running KitKat 4.4.2. Why did I pay $12 for a Premium subscription???? Website instructions indicate that if works with 4.2 and higher. LOTS of folks use Samsung devices, and I use apps to access most things, and Chome Mobile to surf the web. UGH!

• Sergey says:

I have works fine in chrome, only recommend this and change your password in connection with Heartbleed

• On my new galaxy s5 it doesn’t seem to work at all. It never prompts me to fill in anything after turning on the service.

I just use the copy notifications now. I was living this new feature on my older phone though

This is Android 4.4, correct? Even if you tap in the fields it’s not showing any pop-up? Is LastPass installed and you’re logged in, and accessibility features are enabled?

• Josh says:

I am using the LastPass premium app on a Galaxy S3 (SCH-I535) running Android 4.3.

The auto-fill feature was working only sporadically, so I uninstalled and re-installed LastPass. Now it appears buggy… for example, the auto-fill prompt comes up when I attempt to log in to Instagram, but LastPass wants to fill the fields with my Twitter info, not my Instagram info. Any ideas?

We crowdsource app associations, it seems enough people login to Instagram with their Twitter accounts that it’s associated by default. You can go to your Preferences and Edit App Associations, to add instagram.com to the match list for the app. Let us know if we can be of further help.

• Just installed on Galaxy S2. When the LP Service is turned on, it also turns on the ‘TalkBack’ service which is annoying beyond belief. I can’t use the service if my phone is going to constantly blurt out “page 4 of 5” every time I flip a screen!

• bnvbvvbvm says:

Hello,

This does not work at the st george bank (australia) site. Logon fails. Works fine on the desktop.

Also, how do I contact support directly?

• Unknown says:

Works great, however it seems as if it sometimes does not capture uid/pwd entries, if not previously logged in – I have a timeout on my mobile lastpass. So what this means is that I forgot to authenticate in lastpass, try to have it input credentials, keep on tapping on the text boxes ;) and then realize I need to switch to lastpass first to enter credentials. It would be great to have the popup prompt whether you’d like to try and fill with lastpass but you’d have to authenticate first.

Maybe this should work as such, but at least for me it doesn’t

Thanks

Kai

Hi Kai: This should prompt if logged out so that you can login, we’ve noted this for further testing. Please get in touch with the team directly if you continue to encounter bugs or problems.

• PatrickB says:

Is it possible for one app to get another app’s credentials through LastPass?

The only way this could happen is if you have the wrong site matching the wrong app, then select it accidentally. Otherwise, no, not through the app itself.

• MARC says:

Bonjour, J’ai des sites qui s’ouvrent automatiquement sur mon ordinateur alors que sur mon smartphone, je suis obligé de saisir les identifiants et mot de passe ? alors que pour d’autres sites cela fonctionne (avec les mêmes paramétrage) ?
    Avez-vous une solution ? et même avec la mise à jour de la dernière version de lastpass merci

Hello: Mobile websites can behave very differently than desktop versions of those websites. LastPass does the best it can but it may not always be as seamless as on desktop. If you have specific sites you’re having trouble with, please share those URLs and we can take a look. Note you can also file a report with the team here: https://lastpass.com/supportticket.php

• Bruce Ray says:

I can’t figure out how to make it do any form filling in apps.
    I’ve tried CapitalOne’s app and Restaurant.com – no joy in either of these. LastPass asked me if I wanted to fill in apps, I clicked yes. I then enabled it in the settings, as required. But nothing seems to happen. I have 2 factor authentication turned on, using Google Authenticator – if that has any bearing on this.

I really like the software/app and have purchased it.

Unfortunately enabling it to auto-fill into other Android apps disables a lot of my Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 edition’s functionality (Air view, Assistant Menu, Smart screen, Interactive control, Multi window, and Direct pen input are listed).

While I don’t use all these, I do want the ability to use some of them! Is there any way to get around disabling them, or will an update address this? Disheartening to disable part of the functionality of my tablet to make use of this feature. And yes, I would like to have auto-fill enabled!

Thanks for the report. If you go back and try to re-enable those features after LastPass disables them, is it successful?

Just tested it, re-enabled them and they did stay on. So doesn’t appear to be permanent issue…but I would recommend rewording that message/pop-up. The warning message states “TalkBack and the options below cannot both be turned on. Turn on TalkBack?”.

I didn’t have Talkback turned on, and I’m not turning on Talkback so not sure why it asks that (I’m turning on Lastpass auto-fill!). In any case, the message should state these options will need to be re-enabled afterwards…

So all appears good with the world!! Thanks for your speedy reply :)

• Alessandro says:

After enabling LastPass under Android “Accessibility” settings, I had Waze app crashing continuously.
    It seemed to happen every time Waze was trying to show a popup (either a traffic report or an advertise).
    After I disabled LastPass “Accessibility” setting, Waze went back to work perfectly.
    Last Waze update was back on February, and the crashes started only after LastPass update.
    HTC One
    Android 4.1.2

• Сашка says:

Not working in chrome. Which settings in chrome should I do?

• Сашка says:

Not working in chrome

• Goofey says:

Just realised after hours of trying to get this latest of Lastpass to work with Chrome, that it only applies to Android 4.3 or later. Yes, I should take a refresher course on reading, but more importantly, for all of us on 4.2 or 4.1, is anything being done to make it work with those levels?

• Unknown says:

Google Chrome login not working on Asus Transformer. Details:https://www.dropbox.com/s/s8yk39q54ul9uv8/2014-03-30%2020.14.20.jpg

Cant get the USBank app to work properly. Samsung Light, android 4.2.2

Does not work on my nexus 7 (latest). Getting option to copy username and password.

Hope you get all of theses problems fixed. Great addition when you get it to work.

• Erik says:

Awesome new feature. Tested it out on a few apps and chrome and is working great.

• Can the browser integration be made to work with other browsers? Maybe have a whitelist of something to trigger browser-esk behavior. The way it works in Opera Mobile now is more than useless.

• The update that was pushed out this morning does not fix the TalkBack issue on my Samsung S2 Galaxy Skyrocket. There is no way to activate the LastPass service in the Accessibility menu without TalkBack automatically being enabled as well, despite the TalkBack service being listed as Off. This issue makes the new LastPass feature unusable on my device. I’m a long-time LastPass Premium user as well, and I would love to see this issue resolved. Thanks!