LastPass 3.0 Is Here: New Design, New Features!

Excited doesn’t begin to express how we feel about introducing LastPass 3.0. Our new release features an updated, clean design across the LastPass browser addons, the iOS and Android mobile apps, and our website itself. We’ve worked hard to make LastPass easier to use and less intrusive.

Highlights from LastPass 3.0 include:

• Revamped user experience and user interface
  • Field icon menus for easy access to logins and LastPass tools
  • A Shared Family Folder for up to 5 users
  • Expanded Shared Folder features for LastPass Enterprise
  • A revamped LastPass for Applications
  • Secure Note history, to track changes to your notes
  • Windows 8.1 support
  • and more

New Design, New Experience

In LastPass 3.0, we’ve changed the way LastPass notifies and interacts with you. LastPass focuses more on the website’s fields, so there are less steps to get what you need. We’re also phasing out the notification bars at the top of the browser.

A clickable icon now appears on the website’s fields. The LastPass field icon is dynamic, showing you options that match what you would want to do with that field. If it’s a login form, you’ll see your matching logins for that site.

If you don’t have any logins stored for that site, LastPass will ask if you want to save it:

If it’s a “create password” field, you’ll see the Password Generator:

If it’s a shopping form, you’ll see your Profiles:

The field icon menu expands so you can quickly access all the main LastPass features:

The LastPass browser addon menu has been simplified, and we’ve added immediate access to search, so you can quickly find the sites and notes you need:

The vault has also been updated to reflect the new look and feel:

Improved Mobile Experience

The Premium mobile apps for Android and iOS now have a “browser-forward experience”, meaning the browser is integrated with the vault for easy site searching and launching. The vault on both platforms is easily searchable, where you can add, edit, and update your passwords at a moment’s notice.

The LastPass browser now has quicker access to your logins and Profiles. You can add sites easily, generate new passwords quickly, and enjoy a more seamless mobile experience overall.

LastPass Shared Family Folder

We’ve streamlined sharing for our users. LastPass Premium users can now use a Shared Family Folder with up to 5 family members to manage and access joint accounts. Each LastPass user can be added to the Shared Family Folder, and the logins or notes can then be dragged-and-dropped into the Shared Folder.

Updates are then kept in sync across all users sharing the folder. See our full article in the user manual for how to get started; only the user creating the folder needs to have LastPass Premium.

Updates for LastPass Enterprise

LastPass Enterprise administrators can now give Shared Folder access to non-Enterprise LastPass users. Up to 3, non-Enterprise users can be given access to any Enterprise Shared Folder. The new functionality is particularly useful for those who may need to give contractors or part-time employees temporary access to sites. LastPass for Applications has also received a number of improvements.

We’re Thrilled to Reach Another Milestone!

We are so thrilled to share LastPass 3.0 with our community. We hope you enjoy the clean design and less intrusive experience. As always, we owe a big “thank you” to our community for your continued support. We’re committed to the ongoing improvement of our service, and strive to  provide a great experience for our users. Let us know what you think in the comments below!

Thanks,
The LastPass Team

FAQs

How do I disable the “ticker” in the icon?
From the LastPass Icon > Preferences >  Notifications, uncheck the “Show Matching Sites Count in Toolbar” option.

How do I move my matching sites list back to the main icon menu?
In the LastPass Icon > Preferences > Advanced, select the Show matching sites in top level menu” option.

Can I go back to the old notification bars?
First, be sure that you’re clicking the icons that now appear in your username and password fields to try to enter your data. If you’ve tested it and you don’t like clicking the field icons, you can enable the old notification bars in the LastPass Icon >  Preferences > Notifications, and disable the field icons from there. We’d appreciate specific feedback so we can keep fine-tuning our new release.

• Jeffrey Huan says:

Just upgraded to the new version. Really like the design. Great work.

• SenG says:

Finally, got the search similar to roboform

• It has nice interface, but i hate this update. i love the previous one

I couldn’t search my users for a specific site which it has this feature before
    I need to see my accounts were sorted by last login
    Where is auto login?
    I’m not happy with more click after this update
    Why there is a limitation for generate a secure password? only 100 characters?
    the worse part is: searching part. i used to search by username, last touch and site, but they gone!

please provide us a function to back last version

Thanks for the feedback, we’re sorry to hear you’re not liking the update as much. We’ll continue to improve our “sorting” algorithm. From the LastPass Icon, there is now an easy search option, which we hope might provide a workaround.

Most sites do not support passwords over 100 characters. Thanks again for the feedback and we’ll keep improving, if we can address issues with specific sites, please don’t hesitate to reach out to us: https://lastpass.com/supportticket.php

unacceptable. you *removed* features and call it an improvement? i also need to sort my accounts by last login and now you’ve ruined that.

is there anyway to use the previous version? i doubt it. is there any way you’ll fix this? i doubt that too, considering how badly you missed it the first time. now i have to spend time finding a better product, exporting my passwords, etc. this sucks.

we don’t want a better “sorting algorithm”. we want the functionality you removed for no reason.

• vladk says:

yet another app that totally broke user experience and calls it improvements

Soon we’ll be offering you the option to “run in 2.0” mode or to run in “3.0 mode” so it will be easier to switch between the two. We’re actively working to improve 3.0, though, and welcome specific feedback.

• Denis Ahearn says:

I agree with Arman, I like the previous version of LastPass much better.

Specifically, I liked the auto login feature that appears to be missing in v. 3.0. In the previous version, a thin bar would appear at the top of the page which could be used to quickly log into a site. In v 3.0, I need to click on the LastPass button in the browser’s toolbar, and then navigate a couple of menus to choose the right user credentials. On top of that, I am still not logged into the site – I still need to click the site’s Login button.

This feels like a step backwards in useability of LastPass. Am I missing something, but the primary use case for LastPass is logging into sites, so I wouldn’t expect the user experience to get worse with a new version.

I would like to see the same autlogin as in old version without any clicks.

I totally agree with Arman,
      Auto Login is lost. I have to do more than one clicks to login to the website…

• Gryzor says:

Oh, here’s a problem (maybe was there before, just noticed though).

I can’t authenticate on my Android phone. I open LP, sign in, it asks for the two-factor code. So I launch Google authenticator, memorize the code, switch back to LP… and the code window has vanished, throwing me back to the login screen.

It’s very, very difficult to reenter my details and login, then type in the Google Authenticator code before it expires!

This is not a problem only with LP but with every program that wants to authenticate with the same method on the mobile… Please, please at least make it stay in the Code screen!

Absolutely wonderfull update, I LOVE IT!

Well, good job guys! I have been looking for you for many years. I use Sticky Password (www.stickypassword.com) which is awesome as well. I use them mainly because they are offline based and I do not trust putting my passwords online.