Increase the Security of Your LastPass Account with Two New Options

At LastPass, we’re always thinking of ways to better protect users and offer security options that allow users more fine-grained control over the protection of their stored data. That’s why we’ve added two new security options now available to LastPass users in the account settings dialog, which can be opened from the LastPass vault: the ability to restrict logins to selected countries and to disable access from TOR.

Restrict Login to Select Countries

This option is pretty straightforward – you can check one or more countries from which you wish to allow access to your LastPass account. When selected, you can only login to your account from an IP address that originates from the countries you permitted.

The setting is not checked by default, but we do recommend using it as another layer of protection. You can later adjust it if you’ll be traveling and need to access LastPass abroad.

Disallow Logins from TOR

If you’re not familiar with TOR, it was originally developed for protecting US government communications but is now used for a variety of purposes, by normal people, the military, activists, and others for secure, anonymous use of the web.

Because TOR has been associated with hackers who employ it to stay anonymous, and since the majority of LastPass users don’t have a reason to use TOR, you can now disallow logins from TOR. We recommend checking this option if you never use TOR. The setting is not selected by default, but if you haven’t logged in to LastPass via TOR over the last 30 days, you’ll see the option will then be checked in the settings dialog.

Enabling and Disabling the New Settings

All LastPass users will now see the new security options in the settings dialog, accessible from the LastPass vault when you’re logged in.

If you’re in a pinch and need to disable either setting, you will see an error message when logging in that points you to a URL where you can follow the steps to disable the setting(s) by using email. Remember, if you’ve enabled a security email address for your LastPass account, the disable emails will be sent there instead of your account email address.

Multifactor Authentication Is Still Highly Recommended for Added Security

Using multifactor authentication with your LastPass account? You’re already well-protected from potential threats that these settings are meant to protect you from, but it’s worth enabling the settings for the added protection.

If you’re not using multifactor authentication, we highly recommend looking into the available options. There are both free and Premium multifactor authentication options that help you better protect your stored data by requiring that a second piece of data be submitted when logging in to your account.

We continue to look for ways to better protect LastPass users. As always, your security and privacy are our number one priorities.

The LastPass Team

• Nice new security features you added on, thank you!

What is TOR?

• Jon says:

I really hope these two features didn’t take long to develop.. I very much doubt a single person’s security will ever be protected from either of these useless features.

Please focus your development efforts on practical features.

• David Marsh says:

Agreed. It’s just paranoia and overkill for the vast majority of users.

As well as making everyone’s life that bit more complicated: going travelling? Make sure you make a note somewhere to change your LastPass settings before you go, or forget about using the Internet.

Of course you’d better make sure the note has a unique 42-character password on it.

Real positive Jon & David. LastPass beefs up security, and the two of you complain about it. You actually contradict each other. Jon says it is a useless feature, and David says it’s overkill, which implies that it is extremely effective.

I’ll bet neither of you actually pay for LastPass, eh?

Thank you LastPass engineers–the majority of us appreciate the new features.

• Water-man says:

I guess these replies are made by US citizens without a passport. From where I live it takes me 20 min’s to get into Belgium and 1 hour to get into Germany. Last summer holiday brought me in 12 countries, one of them being Romania, famous for the number of hackers that live there.
      Thanks LastPass for this much needed feature.
      Don’t get distracted by people that think the world ends beyond the borders of the USA.

• The country-restricted login is good!I like that idea. Of course I imagine a proxy would overcome that, right? I mean, that’s how I am watching the Olympic games via the BBC website – by proxying into England with a paid VPN.

On the reporting rather than control front – is there a way to see a list of logins? Not just computers, but something like:

Jul 12 8:36 AM, Android Phone, France
    Jul 15 5:00 PM, Computer, USA

By the way – Lastpass is awesome.

• Joe Siegrist says:

Yes proxying is an issue — one we’ve been looking into resolving as well. Will look into improving history.

• Of course it’s just another layer, not every cracker is sophisticated. I have very, very, rarely left the states in my life. It makes me feel slightly more secure to know that russian hackers not trying very hard have no chance. I personally was hoping to be able to restrict logins to my ISP’s network, or my region within the US. Which would help defeat proxies by the fact that many of them within another region. Which would almost certainly mean that at that point it would have to be a targeted attack against me (or an untargeted, not login based attack against lastpass )

LASS PASS IS NOT THE NEXT BEST THING TO WHITE BREAD BUT IS THE BEST. ONE ITEM I HAVE A SLIGHT PROBLEM ON IS WHERE THE ID IS ON ONE PAGE AND THE PASSWORD IS ON THE SECOND PAGE. CAN GET THE FIRST PAGE BUT NOT THE PASSWORD ON SECOND PAGE…/????

• Lance says:

1) Turn-off caps-lock

2) That’s a valid complaint, but I blame the website; that’s a stupid system, my bank uses it too.

• Kanylbullen says:

I just use “Save all entered Data” on each page.

My bank uses it too, but I just created two Lastpass entries. Works fine.

• Paul says:

my ay around this is to right click the blank username box and goto Lastpass/autofill and it has my bank website there, click it and it populates the username, then next page lastpass auto populates the password.

HEY LANCE. LEAVE THE GUY ALONE. OLD FOLKS DON’T SEE WELL OR TYPE WORTH A DARN. ALL CAPS ARE AN EYE SAVER.

Sure, and while he’s at it, maybe it’s ok he should drive with his hi-beams on all the time. As long as his solution doesn’t bother him.

• I don’t know anything about the usefulness of TOR, but restricting the logins to a particular country (or countries) is a novel idea!

• Todd Kantor says:

I imagine by now you have at least heard of TOR network aka the onion. And I must say I am a new user to the dark web and you have to create so many anonamous accounts to initially get things implemented. I am very pleased that when I just googled lastpass for tor and found out it will work. Lastpass rocks