LastPass Acquires Xmarks!

xmarksannounceFINAL

In our efforts to bring you expanded, go-anywhere access to your data, we’re excited to announce that LastPass has acquired Xmarks! It’s a great opportunity that not only ensures the survival of the Xmarks add-on, but will also enhance our mission to provide the best data-syncing tools out there.

Xmarks, formerly known as Foxmarks, provides the world’s leading browser add-on for cross-browser bookmark sync that has successfully grown to over 4.5 million users syncing more than 1 billion bookmarks across 5 million computers. Xmarks has become an integral part of the browsing experience for millions of users, and you can rest assured that we will continue to expand the service in the coming months.

Xmarks is transitioning to a “freemium” business model, the same model that allowed us to grow into a thriving, profitable business. The browser add-on and the vast majority of what users have enjoyed will remain free. Users can then opt to purchase Xmarks Premium for $12 per year, which includes new enhanced features like Android and iPhone mobile phone apps, priority support, and more. The Xmarks and LastPass Premium offerings are also available bundled together at a reduced subscription rate of $20 per year. For current LastPass Premium users, this means you can upgrade today for only $8 more per year.

We believe the acquisition will prove to be a success because of the common mission shared by LastPass and Xmarks. Xmarks complements LastPass’ vision of secure, universal access to the information that gives you entry to your digital life. As the ultimate cross-browser, cross-platform team, Xmarks and LastPass will work together to help more people simplify their digital lives and access their data from anywhere, at any time.

We’re excited to welcome Xmarks to the LastPass family, and hope you will support both of these great services through your business and your Premium subscription. For more information, please check out the FAQs.

The LastPass & Xmarks Teams

• Jogos Online says:

I love both services. I use xmarks for firefox and lastpass for google chrome. that’s great that the deal was made with sucess!

very useful and safe

I’d definitly love to see a BYOS-edition, or at least the option to use your own server for syncing…

• Vgoto says:

LastPass really never disappointed me. Even Xmarks himself, made some buggies in the last versions and didn’t remember my passes every time, but LastPass extension works fine every time.

Only with two sites I’ve discovered that LastPass do not recognise autofill option every time. When I log in the pop-up window on the imageshack.us LastPass do not offer autofill, and on the Windows Live login page do not offer and do not remember my login.

Precious extension, and thanks so much.

I just hope you dont ruin it, xmarks (I was using it when it was still foxmarks) is the only bookmarks app I’ve even been able to find good, and I loved when they switch to xmarks, becuase then i can synch firefox and chrome!

• Byron says:

muchísimas gracias por salvar xmarks, hacían un buen trabajo, y seguramente ustedes también continuaran haciéndolo, gracias nuevamente por permitirme seguir utilizando esta herramienta tan necesaria para mi. javier vega.

• Fleetwood says:

Please add a Windows 7 Phone app and I will get the $20 per year premium subscription.

• Sameer says:

Firstly, thanks for your in-depth feedback.

>> I just don’t see this synergy translated into the payment plans

We’re offering $4 off the regular $12 annual price if you also purchase LastPass Premium for $12/year.

>> It would be one thing if LastPass would simply absorb Xmarks functionality at no additional cost.

We’re offering the add-on for FREE – which most seem to think is an extremely reasonable price :) Most other companies would try to monetize the entire user-base: we’re committed to leaving it free.

>> maintaining two separate add-ons that have a lot of redundant functionality

LastPass is for passwords. Xmarks is for bookmarks. Xmark’s password sync is being deprecated largely because they were significantly inferior when compared to LastPass’ offering. We have also not forced a hard coded bundled offering on people. We don’t want to squeeze users who only need one service into paying for both.

>> charges add up very quickly

Again, the service is FREE and will continue to be free. We have been very judicious on where to draw the line when it comes to asking people to pay: we believe that people who can afford a several hundred dollar phone and an expensive monthly mobile rate plan can certainly afford to pay 3 cents a day for a Premium version.

One last thing to mention. We are dedicated to offering more advanced features and services and mobile apps. Since taking over we’ve already released an Android app, an iPhone app, and a Blackberry app…with more on the way. Development these apps and supporting millions of users not only takes time but also money. We’re doing our best to charge people *AS LITTLE AS POSSIBLE* while also ensuring our survival. You can read more about our motives here: http://lastpass.com/support_faqs.php#whyfree

Am I the only one who has mixed feelings about new merged service? Both LastPass and XMarks are great addons – I’ve been using them each for several years now. I was delighted to hear that LastPass has acquired XMarks as there is definite synergy here. I just don’t see this synergy translated into the payment plans. It would be one thing if LastPass would simply absorb Xmarks functionality at no additional cost – we don’t need two addons when one can do the job. Even asking a moderate increase for an annual membership to $15 from $12 would be fair, as, after all, significant new functionality is added. But asking $20 and still maintaining two separate addons that have a lot of redundant functionality is a bit too much for my taste. I just don’t see this as a fantastic deal. You would definitely get some subscribers asking $20, but sometimes less is more. For annual subscription to really gain foot and convert masses of the new smartphone adopties, $9.99 per year (or lower) is the magic number. $20 is not much by itself, but you are not the only service people use and charges add up very quickly. To think also that this is not a one-time cost but rather annual surcharge, my appetite for your premium services goes down fast, as, I’m sure, for a lot of people who work hard to earn their living.

• Steven says:

Incredible! This is great news and I’m so glad I won’t have to give up Xmarks due to a closure. Now if lastPass can pick up Delicious, we’ll all have the finest triple play the net has ever seen!

• danny6114 says:

Nice job on Xmark, is this why LastPass keeps opening a new tab on my computer unbidden?

Opera support please. Thanks.

congrats

I just learn LastPass because of this purchase. Excellent combination! Future expansion: How about sync of contact information securely for all the different email client and mobile device!!! That would make LastPast the ultimate LastSync.

• Digby says:

Great news for Xmarks (great pun that)

Thanks guys.

I have been using Xmarks for 2 years and could do not without it.

It makes moving to new machines so easy.

I have never heard of LastPass, but will check out what you have.

And as one poster said, it would be great if you could add Address book and email contacts (Thunderbird of course)

I will not need the Premium version, but I will look at donating a few dollars to you.

thanks for keeping xmarx alive!!!!!
    bovi

• Great news! I’ve been an avid XMarks user for as long as I can rememember. I’m highly dependent, relying upon XMarks to sync up hundreds (thousands?) of bookmarks in Chrome, IE and FireFox, on various computers in various locations. Very high quality code that quietly works and works and works….

I actually contributed $15 dollars via Paypal a couple months ago during their appeal to their “customers” (quotes here because I had not paid them a dime before that) for help in keeping their operations going while they shopped for alternatives. After all, I had been heavily relying upon their really outstanding product for several years!

An aside, I’m also a long time paying customer of RoboForm (10+ years) but will now look seriously at LastPass. Funny too, I just saw favorable comment in this week’s Windows Secrets enews article. I’d never heard of LastPass previously. I see it supports BlackBerry. Good! Roboform is truly outstanding but its support of that platform is inadequate.

• El Gonzi says:

Excellent and thanks for adquiring Xmarks!

Happy to hear the Xmarks is alive : )

Very good news really. It would be a dream if LastPass could acquire Delicious too.

X-Marks : “Saved by the bell”… DING!

Awesome! I bet there are many other potential new users (like myself) who were hoping for an X-Mark future, and were waiting to subscribe…

Hmmmmm, may jump ship and try LastPass as a result of this too!

• Matthew says:

This is some AMAZING news! I have been using Xmarks since it was Foxmarks years ago. I LOVE having this service available for free. It would be wonderful if we will continue to be able to make use of the service through extensions/addons rather than being required to install separate software.

Thanks a million LastPass <3

• ppwhatever says:

wohooo!!! I hope smarks support for Opera, or lastpass with xmarks features in opera :)

• ashleyrobin says:

I had heard great things about LastPass but never got around to using it. I just signed up for premium, simply bc I love the fact they rescued XMarks. I’d have always have been willing to pay for XMarks. Thanks to rescuing a great company & may they add to your success!

• AZD says:

Xmarks is saved. Thank goodness.

Yessssss!!!!!!!! i will finally buy lastpass premium….!!and i dont even have 20bucks but i’ll find it…make it!

• Gabi says:

Yay, cool! :)

• Katarina says:

I’m very happy about X-Marks not shutting down! I’ve been using it for years and would have missed it very much! THANKS!

The xmarks acquisition is the reason I just setup an account on lastpass. So far I am very impressed. Thank you for keeping xmarks alive, and I will subscribe to show my thanks.

Thank you so much :) LastPass.
    I love xmarks so much.

• This is what I have wished for :) Great news. I’m looking for the integrated browser addon and the iphone application.

If you add or integrate dropbox to this, it would be even better…

• Mastacheata says:

Received the Xmarks Newsletter yesterday and had never looked int lastpass before. Then I tried it for a few hours and immediately bought the bundle license. Been an Xmarks user since the days it was called foxmarks :D

perfeito!! muito bom!! em novo dos brasileiros, eu agradeco!!

never heard lastpass, but xmarks ROCKS! ill’be try this lastpass ;)

• Chris says:

Support blackberry and or Windows phone 7 and I will go premium in a heart beat.

• PGelsman -

We are planning to remove the password sync feature of Xmarks soon (probably by end of Jan), so we are encouraging all users to switch to LastPass before then.

Thanks

• APhuong says:

Oh ! APhuong like this.

• PGelsman says:

I’m an Xmarks user. I just got the email to upgrade and I intend to, but do I need both Xmarks and LastPass, what are the advantages?

Thank you, and thank you again for keeping Xmarks alive.

• Karthik says:

This is awesome news.. Xmarks is an excellent service.. I will definitely consider upgaring to the premium version