New and improved mobile applications

By September 23, 2009 Mobile 12 Comments

We’ve been hard at work bringing our mobile applications up to speed, and we’re excited to announce a plethora of new features released this week.

Our BlackBerry, Windows Mobile, Google Android, and Symbian S60 mobile applications now have full support for viewing your form fill profiles. Now you can rest assured that your credit card, bank account, and any other important information you have stored in your form fill profiles are always at your fingertips. These same mobile applications now also have support for switching identities, so you can define which sites, secure notes, and form fill profiles you want to see at any given time.

Our Windows Mobile and Android mobile applications now have full form filling support built into our integrated web browser, as well as support for generating passwords. They will also now respect your equivalent domains and never URLs. All these features will soon be coming to BlackBerries capable of running the upcoming BlackBerry OS 5.0 (expected before the end of 2009).

We realize that LastPass for iPhone, by far our most popular mobile application, isn’t mentioned in this posting. Please understand that while all the above features have been completed for LastPass for iPhone, we’ve thus far found it very difficult to get updates approved by Apple and pushed out to the iPhone App Store (just as it was very difficult to get our application in the store in the first place). Rest assured that we’re committed to keeping LastPass for iPhone up to speed with the rest of our mobile apps, but that Apple ultimately has the control.

Thanks Andrew that’s great news. Now I can use my yubikey again.

b2dac

• b2dac: The latest versions of our mobile applications all have the necessary code for us to enable this feature. We expect to make it available this week.

Dunno if anyone noticed yet…but the updated Lastpass iPhone app just appeared in the store!

W00t!

The updated lastpass iphone application is now available. I just downloaded it.

I can’t wait till lastpass enables the new feature which allows us to explicitly enable which phones can have access to our password vaults. Is there an eta on this? Thanks

b2dac

• Apple is definitely responsible. We did get a few reports of bugs (which we promptly fixed).

Apple gives us no way of pushing the new version out to our users so we must go through their approval process (which takes over a month, despite our insistence that these are serious bug fixes that address stability).

They have total control over the distribution channel (aside from the cydia/rock path, which we will look into) and they clearly make and play by their own rules.

From my personal experience, the bigger problem with the Lastpass for iPhone version is not the lack of new features but the lack of stability of the existing ones. And I don’t see how Apple is responsible for that.

Why don’t you guys release the software in an alternative store like cydia or rock? Will Apple blackball you if you’re making the app available through other means?

• Apple has recently forced us down that path (although until they update our software, it won’t be enforced – so you should try it).

My understanding of your original post was that you were premium, sorry.

• Manasi says:

@Bob to quote the top line from the app store…
    ” For LastPass Premium Customers ONLY, do not bother downloading, otherwise, we’ve been forbidden from offering a trial “, so now what should I do?

• Manasi,

The LastPass iPhone app is available in Apple’s App Store. Just search for LastPass.

Bob

That makes no sense, right?

• Manasi says:

I’d love to use lastpass on my iphone but sadly I am a premiun member and I cannot ( last I read) might this change sometime or am I stuck?