Opera, Google Chrome, Safari, iPhone, Opera Mini and more with Bookmarklets

[UPDATE] LastPass has since released a Google Chrome extension and mobile apps for iPhone, Android, Windows Mobile, Blackberry, and Symbian. We recommend trying out our mobile apps for the best experience, in addition to the bookmarklets.

LastPass has just released 3 bookmarklets to extend the LastPass experience to all the other browsers and mobile devices in your life.

We’re very proud of implementing our complete Form Filling solution in a bookmarklet, too. Now if you want to buy something on your iPhone at an online store with your credit card you can do it in 10 seconds rather than 15 minutes (or not at all), it’s amazing.

If you’re already an IE or Firefox LastPass user the experience is a little different. You have to do some setup, and you have to activate the LastPass feature on each page. But if you are on the road and can’t install software, have a mobile browser, or like to use Opera, Google Chrome, or Safari, this solution still works quite well.

We’ve prepared a quick video covering setup and an example of the feature in Google Chrome:

To get started you’ll want to go to https://LastPass.com/ and sign in then hit Bookmarklets. If you’re a new user, go through the installer, then use your LastPass plugin to get all your passwords working before setting up the bookmarklet.

We’ve also improved m.LastPass.com as part of this process to have a login simply activate your session, and your bookmarklets, rather than try to immediately download and decrypt all your data. This is far more workable if you have hundreds of accounts, like many of you LastPass-ers do.

A number of people have asked how to setup iPhone, here how it’s done:

• I like LastPass and use it, and I believe this bookmarklets are LastPass’s strength. Basically LastPass’s Form Filling solution in a bookmarklet is faster and easy and using this form filling solution anything we have to buy using iphone within a minutes.Thanks to LastPass for their invention.

• Thanks for Opera support. Now Form Filling solution in a bookmarklet becomes very easy and faster in iPhone.Thanks to LastPass for released 3 bookmarklets.

Will Last pass work on Opera Mini, if so how?

one pass to know them all!

• Joe Siegrist says:

@USB ENCRYPTION I’m not sure what you mean, you can always go to the iPhone app -> More -> Refresh Sites

• I like these all browsers, epecially google chrome.

• It is good news that Lastpass has released 3 bookmarklets to extend the possibilities to browsers and for mobile devices. I have watched your video and I like it so much, keep it up. LastPass also provides so many features & it is much easier, secure, and safer as well.

• We have an extension that is much better than bookmarklets. Just go here in chrome:

I have had last pass for IE for sometime now and love it. I could not figure out how to add it to my Google Chrome. I ran a Google search on how to install Last Pass on Goggle and found the bookmarklet app. Thank you. Saves a lot of time not having to switch back and forth between IE and Google Chrome.

It says error in Google chrome it say s https server certificate was revoked if anyone knows pls Pm me @ anjan455@gmail.com

• Sarthak says:

I love this password manager so much. It is so fricking secure and cool.

• Joe Siegrist says:

This post is far more complex than what we’re typically doing as we were pushing the limits of what was possible technically possible.

That said, if you actually store your passwords with Google you have a problem: Google doesn’t encrypt your data when stored, any many times when in transit either. They don’t expect (or likely want) you to put your passwords on their servers, it isn’t protected.

• info says:

Why is lastpass so complicated ? , i just need to backup my google stored passwords … i don’t need anything else.

Chrome now has extension support and will be released for all platforms by the end of year, I hope Lastpass will make an extension for this new version of chrome

• I like LastPass and use it, but I do not believe these bookmarklets are LastPass’s strength. The encryption and security is what I enjoy most from LastPass, rather than a vague notion of “added convenience” arising from bookmarklets.

• Unless Opera ever decides to open its browser up for full extension support, bookmarklets will probably remain the only solution.

• Alexander says:

Are there any news regarding an Opera version of LastPass?

• Bob Lewis says:

Hi Guys,

Boy am I P’d off! Not with you guys but with myself. Having used Roboform (free version) L-O-N-G ago and found it very good I decided to buy the full version when I realised that Firefox’s password manager was very “hit and miss” as to when it would complete passwords on some sites.

I also discovered that there had been some security holes with Firefox and then discovered a freely available tool to “crack” the Password Manager main password, hence the move to Roboform.

OK so why am I ticked off? Well LastPass is a) Free and b) I discovered it just ten days after buying the full version of Roboform!!

I LOVE your program (even though I keep Roboform for some stuff) as it means I no longer have to keep adding passwords to my eWallet on my iPaq (in order to access my 1000-plus passwords) when not on my own PC.

I have a few niggles with LastPass that I can live with, but one which is a bit of a pain is that when I click the “fill forms” bookmarklet in Chrome, it defaults to a secondary set of data and doesn’t let me choose which to use.

Is this me? Am I doing something wrong? Or is it a buglet you guys have yet to address on non-FF browsers? (In FF this seems to work just fine).

All help appreciated. Massive props for LastPass – BRILLIANT!! 8~) *8) :)
    Just wish I’d found it 10 days earlier (or even sooner actually) that’s all :-(

Best regards, Bob L

I found a way to add the bookmarklets to the iPhone (much simpler with OS3.0 – will need jailbreaking on pre-3.0) without syncing (I don’t use iTunes and didn’t want to risk wiping out all my current iPhone bookmarks). Here’s the process:

1. Create a bookmarklet in the desktop browser as normal, access its ‘properties’ and copy&paste the javascript (i.e. the ‘location’ of the bookmark) into an email. Send it to yourself at an account you can get on your iPhone.

2. Create a ‘regular’ bookmark on the iPhone (doesn’t matter where)

3. Open the email and copy the javascript source code

4. Edit the bookmark in Safari on the iPhone and paste the javascript code into the location, overwriting whatever was there before.

Hope it helps anyone as allergic to iTunes as I am… :)

• For now, you can use the following tool to get the passwords out of Chrome:

Once you have them in plaintext, you can manipulate the data into CSV format, and use LastPass’ generic CSV file importer to import.

We’ll undoubtedly make this process smoother, as Chrome becomes more popular.

• jake says:

I need to get my passwords out of chrome, and into last pass… how do I do this?

• Joe Siegrist says:

IE on windows mobile phone does not work yet. Opera Mini — make sure you’re using the latest: Opera Mini from http://www.opera.com/mini/ The stalling on Opera Mini is a sign you’re using the old version

• John says:

Okay, I give up. How do you make this work with Opera or IE on a WM phone? It doesn’t seem possible to login to https://lastpass.com/mobile/ or lastpass.com, the login just stalls on both browsers.

i was using roboform until now but i am simply loving this………… plz keep it always free

• Pallab says:

Thanks for Opera support. Now if you be even more awesome if you could import pass from Opera Magic Wand.

I new it was only a matter of time. I love this program!

• Greg says:

The fill thing has been inconsistent. I tried, for example, to fill in info at chinesepod.com
    and it would not fill in credit card info or my name. But you have to be a member there to do this..so hard to check on

I’ve found I’ve generally had problems with mobile versions of things, while the “standard” version works fine, such as chinesepod m.chinesepod.com etc. it fills in the user name, not the password.

i’ll try to find something that’s more accessible for you to test..

• Joe Siegrist says:

Greg – you can hit the bookmarklet on a page to bring up the menu to logout — we’re looking into providing more options around this.

I’m able to fill in/login 100% of the time and same with Fill Forms on my iPod touch — if it’s working on your Safari browser it should generally work on the iPhone safari too. If you have examples where you’re running into trouble that are repeatable, send us mail to support@lastpass.com and we’ll look into it.

• Greg says:

Hi another update
    I am now able to get the fill in/login to work about 50% of the time, so that’s encouraging

However, I am not able to Get the Fill Forms to work on iPhone. When I used the bookmarklet on Safari on the laptop, it worked

My other question is about security:
    When you previously went to http://www.lastpass.com/mobile you were prompted for at least the password. If we have the bookmarklets on iPhone, what would keep someone from using credit card info to fill in forms or to log into private areas? Is there a security component to be added to this?

• Greg says:

I think the bookmarklet ideas are great but unfortunately they have been a disaster for me so far on iPhone.
    I installed all of the bookmarklets, synced, they appear on my iPhone. Yet if I go to a website I want to log into, then go to the LP Login or LP Fill bookmarklets, only the login name NOT the password fills in and the login fails
    Two important points:
    1) When I do it the old way with lastpass.com/mobile, everything logs in correctly on the iPhone – login name + password
    2) When I tried the same bookmarklets on Safari, both login + password logged in correctly on the webpages in question

So something is not working correctly with the login + password on iPhone. Login name fills in, password does NOT

Wow, this works great! I have tested it with Opera and it is quite slick.

• wow.. I have been waiting for chrome bookmarklet(s). Chrome is much lighter and faster than FF.

With this feature, I will use FF less..

Thank you very much!

• Joe Siegrist says:

I’ve updated the post with a video on how to setup the bookmarklets for iPhone.

Waoouh, great!

One question, from what I understand we need to logout manually from the iphone, another bookmarklet for the logout would be nice (at the moment if you call the lastpass login and click logout you are logued out but the lastpass non mobile version load).

• Well, I don’t know about a guide, but i can offer some tips.

you have to sync your Iphone bookmarks with somethign on your computer. Assuming you are on a PC, you can sync them with IE. You can also sync with Safari if you have that installed (I did not).

Basically, I just set up all the bookmarks i wanted in IE (including the bookmarklets for itunes). Then go into itunes and the settings of your iphone (has to be connected). One of the check boxes will be to sync bookmarks with IE.

One note: you will probably lose all your current iphone bookmarks when you do this. Even though the option to “merge” was given to me, it still wiped them all out. Your millage may vary.

Can someone write a guide how to do this on the iPhone. I don’t understand exactly what to do to make this work on my iPhone.

• Joe Siegrist says:

Mr. Ross — you need to look at look at Custom Fields on this page: https://lastpass.com/help.php?topic=formfill&nw=1&fromwebsite=1

• Joey Ross says:

I have been using Lastpass and like it. The only problem, you do not have the ability to create extra fields, like in Roboform. If I am trying to submit to say a directory, it only fills very basic information. Roboform had fields where I can add a description of my site, keywords, meta info, etc. Are you planning to add any of these features to your site. Lastpass is great as a auto login, but is this all it can do?

• Thanks. Figured it out. AND LOVE IT! My biggest problem with lastpass is that I now have a unique passwords for every site I use (which is great) except when I’m on my iphone and I don’t even know what my password for a particular site is.

Problem solved. You guys rock.

• DansleMetro says:

This comment has been removed by the author.

• Joe Siegrist says:

Michael, You’ll want to save the Bookmarklets on your desktop and sync them over to your iPhone as described on the bookmarklets page once you login on https://lastpass.com/ There’s currently no way to setup the bookmarklets directly in the iPhone — you must use the sync method.

• I don’t understand how to set these up on the iphone. Its possible I’m dense, but any chance for a walk through on that?